The One Thing Computers Will Never Be Able to Do
Voice Somalia AN SOMALI AMERICAN GAZETTE OF THE. GREATER WASHINGTON D.C. AREA
Moment Research & Consultancy LLC
- Pakistani man fights to return to his Indian family May 21, 2018Siraj Khan was forcibly removed from India after 24 years, despite marrying an Indian woman and raising a family.
- Cyclone Sagar: At least 15 people killed in Somalia May 21, 2018Tens of thousands of people are affected by flooding as details of the destruction slowly emerge.
- Paraguay president inaugurates Israel embassy in Jerusalem May 21, 2018Paraguay is the second country to follow the US in moving its embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.
- Ozil and Gundogan meet German president over Erdogan photo row May 21, 2018National footballers with Turkish origins came under fire in Germany after they posed in photos with Turkey's president.
- How we grew arrogant enough to believe we have the right to kill May 21, 2018After Santa Fe, we must be honest with ourselves about the role violence plays in our politics.
- Can the Taliban be defeated? May 21, 2018The group recently resumed its spring offensive, with multiple attacks and bombings.
- Malaysia sets up new task force over 1MDB scandal May 21, 2018Agency responsible for seizing assets acquired using funds allegedly siphoned from the fund created by former PM Najib.
- US to investigate 'FBI spying' on Trump campaign May 21, 2018Justice Department probe follows US president's call to check 'infiltration' allegedly ordered by Obama administration.
- US Middle East policy: Has Trump fulfilled his campaign pledges? May 21, 2018Has a Trump Middle East doctrine emerged?
- DR Congo to launch first Ebola vaccination programme May 21, 2018Health staff working in the epicentre of the current outbreak to be first to receive immunisation, DRC officials say.
- Venezuela's Maduro wins presidential vote boycotted by opposition May 21, 2018President Nicolas Maduro wins a new six-year term in a controversial vote, but the rival candidate calls for a new vote.
- Colombia dam: Residents say government ignored repeated warnings May 21, 2018Residents of the 12 villages threatened by a possible dam collapse are angry because their repeated warnings to the government about the project were ignored.
- Zimbabwe's crocodile industry rises against the tide May 21, 2018Reptile industry hopes to capitalise on new president Emmerson Mnangagwa's promise to ease business restrictions.
- Indonesia: 20 years on from downfall of General Muhammad Suharto May 21, 2018The shadow of former leader General Muhammad Suharto still looms over Indonesia, 20 years after he left office.
- Ebola in DRC: Aid workers racing to spread awareness May 21, 2018Thousands of people live and work on the Congo river, which runs through several countries and raises the risk of the Ebola infection spreading. Aid workers are trying to educate people about simple steps they can take to protect themselves.
- Venezuela elections 2018: A look at the key points May 21, 2018Venezuelans are heading to the polls on Sunday to elect a new president and representatives for the state councils.
- Maduro on track for second term as opposition boycotts vote May 20, 2018Turnout in Venezuela election reported to be low after main opposition coalition called for abstention, alleging vote was rigged.
- Pro-war pundits on US airwaves May 20, 2018What's behind the constant presence of former military and intelligence figures in the US news media?
- Turkish elections: Erdogan holds rally in Bosnia's Sarajevo May 20, 2018President turns to Bosnia to rally expatriates after several EU countries ban Turkish campaigning on their soil.
- Zarif: EU must increase Iran investments to save nuclear deal May 20, 2018Iranian foreign minister says the bloc must take 'more practical strides' to preserve landmark 2015 Iran nuclear deal.
- Pakistani man fights to return to his Indian family
- Cyclone Sagar: At least 15 people killed in Somalia
- Paraguay president inaugurates Israel embassy in Jerusalem
- Ozil and Gundogan meet German president over Erdogan photo row
- How we grew arrogant enough to believe we have the right to kill
- Can the Taliban be defeated?
- Malaysia sets up new task force over 1MDB scandal
- US to investigate 'FBI spying' on Trump campaign
- US Middle East policy: Has Trump fulfilled his campaign pledges?
- DR Congo to launch first Ebola vaccination programme
Moment RESEARCH Consultancy
- Over 10,000 Moroccans Protest U.S. Embassy Move to Jerusalem May 20, 2018Chanting “death to Israel,” marchers carried Palestinian flags and placards that called Jerusalem “Palestine’s eternal capital.”REUTERS
- Congo Says 3 New Ebola Cases Confirmed in Large City May 19, 2018Three new cases of the Ebola virus have been confirmed in a city of more than one million people, Congo’s health minister announced.THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
- Of Crowns and Rings: Images of Royal Weddings Over a Century May 19, 2018Rita Hayworth and Prince Aly Khan. Crown Prince Akihito of Japan and Michiko Shoda. Grace Kelly and Prince Rainier III. Browse royal wedding history with these images of ceremonies past.THE NEW YORK TIMES
- Burundi Voters Back Constitution Extending Presidential Term May 18, 2018The new rules pave the way for Pierre Nkurunziza, the country’s longest-serving president, to potentially stay in power until 2034.JINA MOORE
- W.H.O. Says New Ebola Outbreak Is Not Yet a Top Health Emergency May 18, 2018The organization said the outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo is worrisome but there is “a strong reason to believe” it can be controlled.NICK CUMMING-BRUCE and RICK GLADSTONE
- Burundi’s Leader Can Extend His Term. His African Peers Take Notes. May 18, 2018Pierre Nkurunziza, the leader of a tiny African country, could become an “eternal” president after a referendum to extend terms in office.JINA MOORE
- Fighting Ebola in Congo: A ‘Highly Complex’ Operation May 17, 2018The deadly Ebola virus has spread for the first time to a major city in the Democratic Republic of Congo, raising the threat of a far larger contagion.
- What I SAW: In Tiny Burundi, a Huge Vote May 21, 2018Citizens of the small landlocked East African nation of Burundi headed to the polls on Thursday to vote on a referendum to change the constitution. Our East Africa bureau chief, Jina Moore, was there documenting the day and the mood of those voting for and against the changes.JINA MOORE
- Fears of Larger Contagion as Ebola Spreads to Major Congo City May 18, 2018The arrival of the disease in Mbandaka, a bustling port city, is “a game changer,” a World Health Organization official said.NICK CUMMING-BRUCE
- Tiny Brains of Extinct Human Relative Had Complex Features May 14, 2018A study of skull fragments from an extinct human relative recently discovered in South Africa suggests that it may have exhibited complex behavior.NICHOLAS ST. FLEUR
- ‘I Can Finally Dream’: Tunisia Expands Protection for Battered Women May 12, 2018While Tunisia has always prided itself on women’s rights, a law passed last year is a breakthrough in outlawing specific acts of violence and discrimination. It has also led to a network of shelters.LILIA BLAISE
- 26 Killed in Burundi Attack, Minister Says, Blaming Terrorists May 12, 2018The country’s security minister did not identify the “terrorist group” he accused of the killings, a few days before a constitutional referendum.THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
- Dr. Davida Coady, Medical Missionary, Is Dead at 80 May 12, 2018She helped eradicate smallpox in India and reduce malnutrition in Africa, aided refugees in Latin America and later focused on drug and alcohol addictions.RICHARD SANDOMIR
- Global Health: Ebola Erupts Again in Africa, Only Now There’s a Vaccine May 12, 2018For the ninth time, the virus has hit the Democratic Republic of Congo. Officials may deploy a vaccine created too late to stop the epidemic in West Africa in 2014.DONALD G. McNEIL Jr. and NICK CUMMING-BRUCE
- Black Rhinos Roam Chad for the First Time in 46 Years May 12, 2018The rhinoceroses were flown from South Africa to Chad in an effort to re-establish a population there. They will live — and hopefully breed — at Zakouma National Park.SANDRA E. GARCIA
- Sudanese Teenager Sentenced to Death for Killing Husband She Says Raped Her May 11, 2018Noura Hussein, 19, fatally stabbed her husband, who rights groups said had been attempting to rape her again. Her case has caused international outrage.MEGAN SPECIA
- Military Inquiry Finds Soldiers Were Unprepared in Deadly Niger Ambush May 11, 2018An investigation of the Oct. 4 deaths of four American soldiers describes misleading plans and lax oversight for a mission that ended in a firefight with extremists.HELENE COOPER, THOMAS GIBBONS-NEFF and ERIC SCHMITT
- Kenya Dam Break Wipes Out Villages, Killing Dozens May 11, 2018The disaster about 110 miles northwest of the capital, Nairobi, left 500 families homeless and set off a scramble to find the missing and identify the dead.REUBEN KYAMA and RICHARD PÉREZ-PEÑA
- Nigeria’s President Draws Criticism for Seeking Medical Care Abroad May 21, 2018President Muhammadu Buhari is on his fifth official visit to Britain to see a doctor there, angering striking health care workers in Nigeria who are seeking better working conditions and more funding.EMMANUEL AKINWOTU
- 45 Killed in Nigerian Village as Mass Killings Increase May 7, 2018Armed bandits overran a village in retaliation for an attack on them, officials said, part of the mounting violence shaking the country.EMMANUEL AKINWOTU
- Paraguay president inaugurates Israel embassy in JerusalemThis is the third country to make the deeply controversial move.
- Peace clubs revived to fight extremism in MombasaClubs give students tips on peaceful coexistence.
- Missing Commonwealth Games athletes seek asylumNearly 200 people have applied for asylum in Australia, an official said Monday.
- Turbo students injured in bus crash discharged from hospitalForty eight students and two teachers were injured after their bus overturned.
- Palestinian president Abbas remains in hospital: officialsAbbas's health is the subject of regular speculation, with no clear successor identified.
- Iniesta and Torres depart Barcelona and Atletico in styleIniesta's 22-year association with Barcelona, meanwhile, ended with a victory.