On 16 September 2013, the Somalia New Deal Conference, co-hosted by the European Union and Somalia, has been held in Brussels where the international community and Somalia endorsed the Somali Compact, pledged support to enable its implementation and re-commit to the Somali political CONFERENCE CONFERENCE INFORMATION
Voice Somalia AN SOMALI AMERICAN GAZETTE OF THE. GREATER WASHINGTON D.C. AREA
Moment Research & Consultancy LLC
- China grants parole to Nobel Liu Xiaobo June 26, 2017Rights group call for Liu's unconditional release and treatment overseas following terminal liver cancer diagnosis.
- ISIL fighters launch counterattacks in west Mosul June 26, 2017Iraqi officials say ISIL fighters launched surprise attacks in Tanak and Yarmuk to ease pressure on Mosul's Old City.
- Theresa May signs agreement with Northern Ireland's DUP June 26, 2017Agreement to enable Theresa May's Conservative Party to govern the country despite losing its majority in parliament.
- Fighting intensifies in Syrian Golan Heights June 26, 2017At least 12 people reportedly killed as Assad's forces and opposition fighters clash in Quneitra amid Israeli strikes.
- ACLU sues DC police over violence at anti-Trump rally June 26, 2017An independent photojournalist says it 'felt like rape' as officers subjected him to a cavity search while laughing.
- Irish naval ship 'rescues 712 people' off Libyan coast June 26, 2017Hundreds, including 14 pregnant women and four infants, rescued off of Libya in 'wretched state', says Irish navy.
- Mongolians pick president in uncertain time June 26, 2017Ballots cast in presidential election dominated by allegations of corruption against backdrop of economic turmoil.
- Why Macron is wrong about Assad June 26, 2017Bashar al-Assad is the enemy of all humanity, not just Syrians.
- Muslims around the world celebrate Eid al-Fitr 2017 June 26, 2017From Iraq and Afghanistan to Turkey and Singapore, Muslims around the world celebrate the end of the holy month.
- Some Saudi-led bloc's 'demands very difficult to meet' June 26, 2017US secretary of state urges Arab states to 'sit down together' to try to reach resolution amid major diplomatic crisis.
- US-backed SDF forces advance in Raqqa June 26, 2017ISIL fighters lose western Raqqa neighbourhood of Qadisia to the SDF, a coalition of Arab and Kurdish fighters.
- Muslims celebrate Eid al-Fitr worldwide June 26, 2017Holiday marking end of fasting month characterised by prayers followed by feasts and visits to family and friends.
- Hopes fade in grim search for Xinmo landslide survivors June 26, 2017Thousands of Chinese rescuers with detection devices and dogs look for survivors after disaster in Sichuan province.
- US health-insurance bill faces stiff opposition June 26, 2017Plan can afford to lose only two Republican votes in order to pass but five senators have expressed their opposition.
- Six dead after tourist boat sinks in Colombia June 26, 2017Officials say 31 people also missing after a boat with about 160 people on board sank in Guatape reservoir.
- 'We are more united': Qataris mark Eid amid blockade June 26, 2017Qatari citizens express unity, sadness as a regional diplomatic crisis casts shadow over Islam's most important holiday.
- Eid al-Fitr holiday: How many days is it by country? June 26, 2017Eid al-Fitr holidays in 2017 range from 23 days in Saudi Arabia to three in Pakistan.
- When is Eid al-Fitr this year? June 26, 2017Moon sighting committees convened on June 24 to look for Eid's, while astronomers predicted it invisible in Asia.
- Hong Kong activists hold China protest before Xi trip June 26, 2017Protesters drape black flag over a symbolic statue days before visit by Xi Jinping marking 20 years since the handover.
- Japan's airbag firm Takata files for bankruptcy June 26, 2017Tokyo-based car-components manufacturer is facing lawsuits and costs over airbag defect linked to at least 16 deaths.
- China grants parole to Nobel Liu Xiaobo
- ISIL fighters launch counterattacks in west Mosul
- Theresa May signs agreement with Northern Ireland's DUP
- Fighting intensifies in Syrian Golan Heights
- ACLU sues DC police over violence at anti-Trump rally
- Irish naval ship 'rescues 712 people' off Libyan coast
- Mongolians pick president in uncertain time
- Why Macron is wrong about Assad
- Muslims around the world celebrate Eid al-Fitr 2017
- Some Saudi-led bloc's 'demands very difficult to meet'
Moment RESEARCH Consultancy
- Corruption Crackdown Intensifies in Tunisia, and the People Cheer June 25, 2017A drive to root out corruption has been surprising for its vigor, but is not without risks. Analysts say mafia bosses are as powerful as terrorists.CARLOTTA GALL
- White House Pushes Military Might Over Humanitarian Aid in Africa June 25, 2017African and American military leaders are uneasy that shifting to a military-heavy presence on the continent could hurt America’s long-term interests.HELENE COOPER
- Angola’s Corrupt Building Boom: ‘Like Opening a Window and Throwing Out Money’ June 24, 2017Angola’s reconstruction presented the politically connected with an opportunity to enrich themselves and their relatives.NORIMITSU ONISHI
- U.N. to Investigate Reports of Government-Backed Slaughter in Congo June 24, 2017The United Nations’ human rights chief, Zeid Ra’ad al-Hussein, said even babies had been mutilated by a government-linked militia and insurgents.NICK CUMMING-BRUCE
- U.N. Asks International Court to Weigh In on Britain-Mauritius Dispute June 23, 2017In a blow to Britain, the General Assembly voted to refer London’s territorial dispute with a former colony to the International Court of Justice.SOMINI SENGUPTA
- Ghana Court Rejects Resettlement of Guantánamo Bay Detainees June 22, 2017The Supreme Court justices ruled that Ghana’s government erred in approving the transfer of two Yemeni detainees.NANA BOAKYE-YIADOM
- Why Migrants Keep Risking All on the ‘Deadliest Route’ June 22, 2017The grim fates of two Senegalese brothers match those of a growing number of young African men who are determined to reach Europe — or die trying.DIONNE SEARCEY and JAIME YAYA BARRY
- Man Charged With Stabbing Officer at Airport Had Tried to Buy a Gun, F.B.I. Says June 22, 2017The suspect is a married father of three described by his landlord in Montreal as never causing any problems.CHRISTOPHER MELE and MATTHEW HAAG
- U.N. Security Council Welcomes Deployment of New Counterterrorism Force in Africa June 21, 2017A French-American standoff at the Security Council has been resolved, clearing the way for deployment of a five-nation African force in the Sahel region.SOMINI SENGUPTA
- Feature: Trained to Kill: How Four Boy Soldiers Survived Boko Haram June 21, 2017The four children, from a fishing village in Nigeria, were among thousands abducted by Boko Haram and trained as soldiers. They learned to survive, but only by forgetting who they were.SARAH A. TOPOL
- Congolese Militia Is Accused of Atrocities June 21, 2017The United Nations’ top human rights official said a militia in the Democratic Republic of Congo carried out mass killings and attacks on children and pregnant women.NICK CUMMING-BRUCE
- A Kenyan Pursuit: Perfecting the Chicken Dish Kuku Paka June 20, 2017This product of a rich immigration past thrives today as cooks across the country, and far beyond, continue tinkering with the recipe.TEJAL RAO
- UhuRuto to launch Jubilee manifesto at Kasarani StadiumIt will place “rapid industrialisation” at the heart of their government.
- Joho, Shahbal, Omar in rare embrace during Idd prayersBitter political rivals hug each other with smiles on their faces.
- Munya, Kiraitu intensify political war after Uhuru tourMunya denies ferrying his supporters to the Jubilee meetings to heckle Kiraitu.
- Supermarkets feel the heat from growing e-commerceAs more Kenyans move to the online space to do their shopping, retail chains are feeling the heat.
- Mombasa gubernatorial rivals share platform at Idd prayersLeaders hug each other after prayers and exchange pleasantries.
- May's Conservatives sign power deal with Northern Ireland's DUPThe agreement was signed by senior Conservative official Gavin Williamson and senior DUP member Jeffrey Donaldson.