Nobel Pace, Muhammad Yunus
The One Thing Computers Will Never Be Able to Do
Voice Somalia AN SOMALI AMERICAN GAZETTE OF THE. GREATER WASHINGTON D.C. AREA
Moment Research & Consultancy LLC
- Global warming: July continues the upward trend August 18, 2017Last month was only 0.05 degrees Celsius below the record set in 2016.
- Libya: Khalifa Haftar ally Mahmoud al-Werfalli arrested August 18, 2017Unclear if Mahmoud al-Werfalli will be handed over to ICC, which issued his arrest warrant for 'murder as a war crime'.
- Uncovering Somalia's forgotten music of the 1970s August 18, 2017A trove of recordings that survived 'Africa's Dresden' is a window into how music once flourished under a dictatorship.
- UN: Saudi coalition attacks kill many children in Yemen August 18, 2017UN report blames Saudi-led military alliance for 'unacceptably high' number of child casualties during war.
- Timeline: Deadly attacks in Europe August 18, 2017A chronology of major bombings, gun violence, and vehicle attacks in Europe over the past year.
- What Kenyan voters got for the $500m spent on elections August 18, 2017Was the Kenyan election either free or fair?
- Qatar-Gulf crisis: All the latest updates August 18, 2017The latest news after three Gulf states and Egypt cut ties with Qatar and imposed a land, sea and air blockade.
- 'Barbaric act': World reacts to Barcelona attack August 18, 2017From leaders to footballers, many around the world condemn the attack in Las Ramblas area that killed 13 people.
- Is climate change to blame in Freetown? August 18, 2017Humanity may have worsened the conditions on the ground but is the weather worse anyway?
- South Africa's borders on 'red alert' for Grace Mugabe August 18, 2017Accused of assaulting a model with an electric cable, police search for Zimbabwe's first lady to prevent her departure.
- Venezuela: New prosecutor vows to jail protest leaders August 18, 2017Tarek Saab, known as a staunch government loyalist, replaced critic Ortega Diaz who denounced the 'siege' by troops.
- Police kill 'terrorists' in Cambrils, near Barcelona August 18, 2017Seven people also injured after a car drove into them in Spanish town, hours after a similar attack in nearby Barcelona.
- 80 killed after escalation in Philippines war on drugs August 18, 2017Another 13 people dead in Manila overnight after police raids and vigilante attacks as death toll rises.
- North Korea 'fails' South's Moon after 100 days August 18, 2017Pyongyang's state media denounces South Korean president's 'hypocrisy' over sanctions after first 100 days in office.
- ISIL claims responsibility for van attack in Barcelona August 18, 2017Suspected driver on the run after 13 are killed and 100 injured as a vehicle rams a crowd in the busy Las Ramblas area.
- US judge orders deportation of Palestinian activist August 17, 2017Activist Rasmea Odeh's US citizenship is revoked for failing to disclose convictions in 1970 for bombings in Jerusalem.
- Is Donald Trump giving a voice to white supremacists? August 17, 2017The US president is being widely criticised for his response to the Charlottesville white supremacist rally.
- Ibrahim Halawa enters fifth year in Egyptian prison August 17, 2017Family, politicians and rights groups decry jailing of Ibrahim Halawa, who was 17 when arrested and faces death penalty.
- Van crashes into dozens of people in Barcelona August 17, 2017At least 80 people also wounded after vehicle mounts pavement in busy Las Ramblas area of Catalan city.
- Sierra Leone reels from deadly mudslides August 17, 2017Family members line up in pouring rain to identify loved onesÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ remains following mudslides and floods that killed 400.
- Global warming: July continues the upward trend
- Libya: Khalifa Haftar ally Mahmoud al-Werfalli arrested
- Uncovering Somalia's forgotten music of the 1970s
- UN: Saudi coalition attacks kill many children in Yemen
- Timeline: Deadly attacks in Europe
- What Kenyan voters got for the $500m spent on elections
- Qatar-Gulf crisis: All the latest updates
- 'Barbaric act': World reacts to Barcelona attack
- Is climate change to blame in Freetown?
- South Africa's borders on 'red alert' for Grace Mugabe
Moment RESEARCH Consultancy
- U.S. Faults U.N. Report on Killings of 2 Investigators in Congo August 17, 2017An internal inquiry absolves the United Nations, suggests that the investigators did not take security measures, and fails to identify the killers.KIMIKO de FREYTAS-TAMURA
- Jihadist Is Liable for $3.2 Million for Damage to Shrines in Mali August 17, 2017Because the convicted man is in prison and penniless, the International Criminal Court asked the court’s Trust Fund for Victims to pay the reparations.MARLISE SIMONS
- Over One Million South Sudanese Flee From Violence to Uganda August 17, 2017The daily exodus of villagers escaping armed conflict, hunger and sexual violence prompted the U.N. refugee agency to urge international action.NICK CUMMING-BRUCE
- Sierra Leone Buries Over 300 Mudslide Victims in Mass Graves August 16, 2017The disaster, which killed at least 400 people, awakens painful memories of past national traumas: the Ebola outbreak and Sierra Leone’s civil war.JAIME YAYA BARRY
- Zimbabwe’s First Lady Said to Seek Diplomatic Immunity Over Assault Claim August 17, 2017A South African model said Grace Mugabe attacked her with an extension cord after finding her with the first lady’s two sons in a luxury hotel room in Johannesburg.JEFFREY MOYO
- Kenya Opposition Leader Says He’ll Expose Election Fraud August 17, 2017Raila Odinga, who lost last week’s presidential election to the incumbent, President Uhuru Kenyatta, says he will challenge the result in the Supreme Court.KIMIKO de FREYTAS-TAMURA
- Suicide Bombers Kill at Least 20 People in Northeastern Nigeria August 16, 2017The attack, which also wounded dozens of people, struck a camp for internally displaced people and a nearby market.THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
- Chaos in Central African Republic Imperils Aid Groups’ Work August 15, 2017Mayhem is spreading, tens of thousands of people have been displaced, and aid groups warn that “we cannot operate in a country where we are the target.”RICK GLADSTONE
- ‘This Is Too Much for Us’: Sierra Leone Deluged by Mud and Grief August 15, 2017With hundreds dead and hundreds more missing after torrential rains and mudslides, residents of the country’s capital can’t find room for all the dead.JAIME YAYA BARRY and DIONNE SEARCEY
- Grace Mugabe Is Accused of Assault at Johannesburg Hotel August 15, 2017The wife of Zimbabwe’s longtime president appeared at a police station in South Africa after being accused of hitting a woman in the forehead.THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
- ‘All We See Is Dead Bodies’: Sierra Leone Floods and Mudslides Ravage Freetown August 15, 2017Survivors in Freetown, the capital, resorted to stacking bodies on soccer fields, after heavy rain and mudslides killed as many as 200 people.JAIME YAYA BARRY
- Fleeing Hardship, Then Pushed Into Sea, They Landed in a Country at War August 14, 2017Migrants from Somalia and Ethiopia, forced overboard from two boats last week, came ashore in war-torn Yemen. They were hoping to find work in the countries of the Persian Gulf.SAEED AL-BATATI
- Gunmen Kill 18 at Restaurant in Burkina Faso August 14, 2017The attack at Aziz Istanbul, an eatery that is popular with foreigners, was eerily similar to an assault just down the street in 2016.DIONNE SEARCEY and JAIME YAYA BARRY
- An Ex-Shabab Leader Surrenders in Somalia, Officials Say August 13, 2017Abu Mansoor Mukhtar Robow surrendered to government forces on Sunday, in a surprise move that could weaken the country’s Islamist militants.JEFFREY GETTLEMAN
- Protests Rage On in Kenya After President Is Re-Elected August 12, 2017Many believe the election was rigged, even though international observers concluded that it was fair and transparent.KIMIKO de FREYTAS-TAMURA
- Nigerian Military Raids United Nations Camp for Unclear Reason August 12, 2017The raid could increase tension between the country’s military and the United Nations as each struggles to respond to a war with Boko Haram terrorists.DIONNE SEARCEY
- President Uhuru Kenyatta Is Declared Victor of Kenyan Election August 11, 2017Mr. Kenyatta won a contest marred by allegations of vote-rigging and the killing of a top election official.KIMIKO de FREYTAS-TAMURA
- Nairobi water company gets new MD amid workers’ protestsNahashon Muguna takes over from Gichuki in acting capacity.
- Forest fires cut off 2,000 villagers in Macao, PortugalGovernment declares state of emergency in some central and northern regions.
- 5 things you (probably) didn’t know about ChilobaeFirst of all, yes, he is Chilboae.
- Californians once again want to secede from United States"Calexit" ballot proposal has been put forward by a fringe political group.
- World mourns elephant warrior Wayne LotterUnknown gunmen shot the Pams Foundation chairman at Masaki in Dar.
- 10 key dates in life of Britain's Princess DianaAugust 31, 1997 Diana dies in a high-speed car crash in Paris, France.